If you’re a passionate traveller and wish to experience the hidden beautiful places of the world, you must visit the Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park in the central region of Vietnam.
If you’re a passionate traveller and wish to experience the hidden beautiful places of the world, you must visit the Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park in the central region of Vietnam. Mountains, rivers, caves, jungles, valleys, you name it! When you travel to Phong Nha, you’ll surely find a wide array of activities to choose from since it is considered to be one of the best places in Vietnam and is home to some of the world’s most colossal and spellbinding caves; the most revered ones being the world’s largest cave – Son Doong, the third biggest cave in the world – Hang En, the cave with the rarest and most extraordinary cave formations ever seen – Hang Va, one of the most prominent and gorgeously mysterious cave systems in the world – Tu Lan Cave System and other tourist caves like the Phong Nha cave, Paradise Cave and Dark Cave. When in Phong Nha, you can also visit the Bong Lai Valley and Nuoc Mooc Eco-Trail to truly be able to admire the natural beauty in this part of the world.
Apart from the many majestic caves to explore in the region, the Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park is also where the spectacular Phong Nha Botanical Garden resides. The Phong Nha Botanical Garden is one of the best attractions in the Phong Nha – Ke Bang National Park. Amongst others, visiting the Phong Nha Botanical Garden is surely one of the answers if you’re wondering what to do in Phong Nha!
About the Phong Nha Botanical Garden
Travellers often find it difficult to properly describe the beauty of the Phong Nha Botanical Garden and say that it’s one of the most tranquil areas they’ve been in during that Vietnam travels. If you’re a fan of solo exploration, visiting the Phong Nha Botanical Garden is an ideal choice for you! This place spans over 40 hectares and its diverse ecosystem is known to be home to over 500 plant species.
Once you make your way here, you will receive an English language map of the whole area while signing in. This informative map will cost you just VND 32,000. The tropical forest inside is absolutely stunning and at no point will you get lost, as it is very easy to follow the designated trail.
While trekking along the path, you will be surrounded by biodiversity like never before; lots of plants of different species will be seen with signs. Make sure to not miss the gorgeous orchids and the birds as well. To get the best out of your journey to the Phong Nha Botanical Garden, it is recommended to visit during the cold days between December and February, as it is quite refreshing.
Interesting Facts about Phong Nha Botanical Garden
- You will find a Wildlife Enclosure here, where you can enjoy mild trekking and see animals like Langurs and some others.
- Don’t forget to spend some time admiring the 100 year old Sao trees. You will have some great photography opportunities here.
- At the end of the Phong Nha Botanical Garden you will be greeted by the fantastic Thac Gio waterfall. This waterfall is 30 meters high where you can enjoy the powerful cascade of cold refreshing water!
- The Phong Nha Botanical Garden is also home to the Vang Anh Lake, which has amazing fresh blue water. You can take a dip here and swim after a steamy hike through the wilderness.
- Make sure to also check out the prototype exhibition house, propagation section and pristine forest patches inside the Phong Nha Botanical Garden.
- At some points during the trek you will also get to enjoy some bouldering over some rocks which are mostly slippery and you will do this with the aid of a rope handrail.
- You have the opportunity to take part in a guided plant tour along the fantastic scenery of the Phong Nha Botanical Garden.
It is recommended to wear non-waterproof shoes that provide great grip or better yet sandals.
Routes to explore the garden
The Phong Nha Botanical Garden has 3 different routes that you can take to explore the various attractions of the garden.
- Route 1: The first route can be taken if it’s only the Thac Gio waterfall that you’re interested in experiencing. This will take you somewhere between 25-40 minutes depending on your speed and general trekking experience.
- Route 2: The second route is relatively longer and will allow you to see both the gorgeous Vang Anh Lake and the Thac Gio Waterfall. This route will take you roughly 1 hour and 30 minutes, but you will get the best of both these attractions of the botanical garden.
- Route 3: The third route is basically the one you take on the second route if you add in the whole trek through the jungle loop inside the garden. This will take you around 3 hours.
How to get to the Phong Nha Botanical Garden
The Phong Nha Botanical Garden is located around 12 KM away from the Phong Nha Tourism Center, which is in the Phong Nha town. From the entrance of the Phong Nha town, which is the turnoff from the Ho Chi Minh Highway East with the big sign “Phong Nha – Ke Bang”, just drive roughly 4.5 KM; you will arrive at the left turn that leads to the road that goes into the Phong Nha Botanical Garden.
Visiting the Phong Nha Botanical Garden
You can visit the Phong Nha Botanical Garden daily between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM.
Visiting the Phong Nha Botanical Garden is free of cost and you will have to pay for each attraction separately. The admission fee for the Botanical Garden is VND 32,000 (price in 2021, includes map) and you’ll pay around VND 5,000 for parking your motorbike.
What else to do in Phong Nha?
Are you looking for something else to do in Phong Nha, another easy-going, relaxing place or a real adventure in the Adventure Capital of Asia – Phong Nha?
Our What to do in Phong Nha page is what you cannot miss!
Or pay a visit to our Paradise Cave, Phong Nha Cave, Dark Cave, Bong Lai Valley and Nuoc Mooc Eco-trail travel guide, we’ve listed some important things to know to help you make your way around our little town!